Legislation, determinations, guidelines & fact sheets
Offshore petroleum legislation
Offshore petroleum operations beyond designated state and territory coastal waters are governed by the Commonwealth Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage Act 2006 (OPGGSA) and related Acts and regulations.
The offshore petroleum legislation, regulations and guidelines provide for the orderly exploration for and production of petroleum and greenhouse gas resources, and sets out a framework of rights, entitlements and responsibilities of governments and industry.
- Offshore petroleum acts
- Offshore petroleum regulations
- Offshore petroleum guidelines
- State and territory legislation
- Action Brief—NOPSEMA—NOPTA determination [PDF 263KB] | [DOC 160KB]
- Action Brief—NOPSEMA—NOPTA Attachment determination [PDF 1.3MB] | [DOC 784KB]
The fact sheets below are provided to assist industry in complying with legislation and should be read in conjunction with the above guidelines. Further fact sheets can be found on the Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release website
- Fact sheet—Annual title assessment reports [PDF 119 kB] | [DOCX 319 kB]
- Fact sheet—Monthly production reports [PDF 75 kB] | [DOCX 325 kB]
- Fact sheet—Pipeline licences [PDF 41 kB] | [DOCX 316 kB]
- Fact sheet—Suspensions and extensions [PDF 309 kB] | [DOC 445 kB]
- Fact sheet—Work programs [PDF 45 kB] | [DOC 319 kB]
Further information on the OPGGSA, related Acts and regulations and guidelines can be found on the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism website’s Offshore petroleum legislation, regulation and guidelines.